Tuesday, 6 January 2009

It's alright I'm mental

Business card, It's alright I'm mental

The picture is of rather low resolution, but thanks to good sense of mind which told me to keep words as Type and the black shape as a path, the resolution was successfully increased to 300dpi, a hard copy printed out, folded in half, and the paper cut away from the curved side (but left intact on the straight sides).

It took about an hour or two to make.
Its creation came from the fact that Wylie Atmore kept saying it on the train ride home yesterday, determined to use it as an excuse for everything.

I handed it to him after he'd finished eating, optical illusion side up. (I don't think he realised this, which is what was intended. Hermann's Grid is subtler than the Scintillating Grid.) I'd forgotten to seal it, so his first reaction was to open it like a card; he was slightly disappointed until he refolded it and saw the other side. This elicited amazed laughter for about a minute. More laughing made him red-faced when he realised that I'd put quotes from Waiting for Godot in the background. It promptly went into the clear display section of his wallet.

I am pleased.

The typefaces used were Copperplate Gothic and Speedball No 3, the former a suggestion from Rel when I asked for a typeface that described Subfuture, with Geal'k's sense of humour.
Rel thought the use of Speedball No 3 was quite appropriate.

The quotes are:
"What about hanging ourselves?
Hmm. It'd give us an erection.
An erection! ... Let's hang ourselves immediately!"
"Nothing to be done."
"Shall we go?"
"We are all born mad. Some remain so."
"quaquaquaquaqua"

No comments: