Last Wednesday, I went to USyd with Brian on a photoshoot to take photos of USyd's circus fire dancers.
Last Monday, after a visit to the doctor, I went to the UTS Concourse where Chicken Slayer, Kenji from MuscUTS, and 6 others, probably from AnimeUTS, were playing mahjong. Brian showed up and said that he was headed to UNSW after getting dinner to take some more photos of fire dancing. He convinced me to come along by saying that all the girls were going to be doing it topless.
And so they did. They had bras on, of course, and most had pants of some kind on too.
After they ran out of kerosene, they demanded that the guys dance topless also. The one who left his shirt on was promptly pointed out and cajoled at until he took his top off.
I learnt one and two beat weaves from a guy who was really good at teaching it.
There was a really hot girl doing hula hoop with spokes of fire. I think she is a gymnast.
Today I went back to USyd. The hula girl, Jess, was there. Turns out she's from USyd originally. Hugh, the guy with the hat who looks like Elmin, I'd spotted at UNSW after I first saw him at USyd. Someone recognised me from UNSW on Monday.
I learnt the three beat weave, and how to pass figure of 8 in front of me. Also learnt to do figure of 8 backwards - drawing the 8 with the pinky leading, rather than the thumb. It feels quite awkward.
I think I will be attempting to make it to their Wednesday 12-2pm practice session on the Botany Lawn. Jess offered to teach me to hula hoop.
Hugh said I shouldn't practice with the cardboard tube because it'd give me bad habits due to it being far lighter than an actual firetwirling staff.
On the way to the bus stop, I worked out (on the cardboard tube that I looted from the Great Hall) how to pass the stick behind me with three beat weave. I don't know if it's right, but I overheard one guy exclaiming something like "See the girl with the stick? How is she doing that?!" as he walked past.
Speaking of guys and walking, one came by from Manning Bar as I was leaving and tried to keep up a one sided conversation asking what I was doing with the stick, and then just trying to get my attention as I ignored him. He was mildly amusing. "Hey girl with the stick. What are you doing? Small asian girl. There aren't that many girls, you know I'm talking to you. Dear Mrs Lee. Today I saw you with your stick. I'm not drunk, really."
Near the end he crossed the road and we had to pass through some light.
"It's dark so I can't tell if you're angry or smiling. You're laughing. I can see it now."
On the way home, The Butcher told me to go to Bunnings and buy a 12mm stick of wood, wrap it with foam-like pipe insulating material, and then some duct tape for a staff to practice with that won't hurt as much. He also suggested refined Linseed oil, because the raw stuff leaves a smell; apparently once a small amount is used on the wood after it's been sanded down, it helps with grip when grasping, and lubricates when holding the staff gently or sliding it.
No comments:
Post a Comment