Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Disgusted

Today I went to a graduate information session for ANZ. A charismatic lady from HR and a well dressed graduate named Isaac spoke to us. (I am not pleased with myself for forgetting her name.)
I found out that I would have to move to Melbourne if I were to take up a graduate role in Technology. Not such a bad way to go, to be honest.

While people were asking questions, one rather unexpected one came from a young woman near the back. I do not remember the exact question, but it was something along these lines - did they have any provisions for a single mother?
In hindsight, this is probably not true, but I will say it anyway - a ripple of surprise went through the room. Certainly one went through me, and if my instincts for reading body language actually exist, I am almost certain one went through the HR lady - bordering on shock, perhaps - and somewhat certain that Isaac had a similar reaction.

Analysing my thoughts many hours later, I am disgusted with myself at my initial thoughts, which were prejudiced - something along the lines of 'woah, you're rather young' and 'bad decisions?'. Although I have no way of confirming them, they were most likely inaccurate. They were most certainly wrong. Who am I to judge a woman by a single question she asks to another?

However, I was most disgusted at the answer that followed the question - I'm fairly sure they consisted mostly of lies, but unfortunately, the words have been mostly overwritten by my feelings of disgust - some stumbling over herself, saying things about how graduates would most certainly need to be available to work full time, possibly some things about how it wouldn't affect her application. Through most of this, she was shaking her head rather vigorously while saying all these words to the effect of yes. Rather markedly, I did not notice her mention anything about childcare, or maternity leave, or flexible hours.

Around then was when I got up and left. ANZ may have the best graduate program, but I am not sure if I will be applying.
While I was leaving, the young woman asked another question - "Would her experience as a parent be taken into account?" She said it in a tone that sounded weary; as if she were used to getting such reactions. I'd not thought of that point of view, but it is utterly disappointing that she should be used to people reacting negatively to her having a child, and being the sole carer of it.
I know such prejudices exist in society, despite what people may say.

But I'd not realised such prejudices were so deeply ingrained into myself.

Something I need to watch for, clearly. I may not be able to control my gut reactions, but I can control what I do afterwards, particularly if I realise such a reaction has occurred.

Hrmmm.

No comments: