Sunday, 22 August 2010

Dementia

I can never remember which one it is that his grandmother has, Alzheimer's or just a general Dementia. Apparently Dementia is a more general classification for a number of memory degeneration diseases, I will go with that one.

The entire time I've known him, he has never been willing to visit her. A few months after I'd gotten to know him, I urged him to do so since he himself had been saying that he should visit her, a sentiment backed up by his mother.

So he went. It was apparently not a pleasant experience; she does not recognise him, and just sort of ranted (rambled?) or something.

After finding out about her condition, I have always been curious; moreso after having read Still Alice, by Lisa Genova (I sat and read the entire thing in Basement Books, and have regretted not buying it ever since; they didn't have it anymore when I went back a week later to do so).
He is understandably reluctant to take me. I wouldn't understand her anyway.

Sunday morning (22nd Aug) he was woken up by his mother, who'd gone to visit her mother. She put him on the phone with her, and the conversation was basically her repeating anything he said.

He wept after retelling that to me. He fears it very much.

No comments: