Friday, 6 August 2010

Madame Mercury's Marvellous Menagerie

Went to Circusoc's performance this evening.
Showed up around 6, an hour before the doors were to open. Lurked and was roped in to helping with the selling of tickets.

Sadly this meant I did not end up getting to sit in the front row as hoped.
However, I did manage to see a perfectly good show without having to pay.
I just sat at the back instead - or rather, knelt on the seats so that I could see over all the people in front.

It was certainly far better than the terrible co-operative Circusoc and Surcas "Romeo and Juliet" show I went to earlier in the year. Amazing how a live band can make such a difference.

I can't really decide which act was best, there were a fair few good ones. SO comments on them in order of show.

1. The Singing Woman
It got a bit difficult to hear the lyrics when the band got loud.

2. At last the Madame is revealed
James Gilronan and Alice McKaig make an excellent ringmaster and madame. The madame's script was very well written, and she fit the part extremely well.

3. The Strong Men
They were dressed in black underwear and leopard print skins. It was kind of funny.

4. Feminist Flesh
This fire fleshing act was pretty funny, especially the deliberately terrible striptease and lighting the nipple tassles on fire. Pity about the terrible problem with the mic, it made her voice sound scratchy.

5. Twirling Troupe of Tweens
To be honest, I didn't find this one so great. Staff is better done with fire.

6. Young Jugglers
Again, dropping of clubs marred the performance. I think it was better in the rehearsal, although the idea of juggling clubs as balloons and the various sports themes were rather nifty.
I did like the two person pulsating flower move.

7. Morbid Magician
Good act of sawing Jess Bloom in half. Pity Ben Orson forgot his lines and couldn't cover effectively.

Madame Mercury's speech for intermission was gold. It went something like this:
"This would be the point where my husband - late husband - would have put on an act with animals. One day, Fifi, the dancing elephant, did a pirouette instead of a plie and squashed the poor man. Much like a balloon filled with tomato sauce.
So I shot the elephant. But it didn't bring back my true love. All he left me with was this tent, an ivory piano, and 27 children."
She proceeds to down an entire bottle of alcohol, motioning 'patience, wait for it' with a finger to the audience twice.
"Go now. It's intermission."

During intermission, a contact juggler wearing small UV lights strung along his upper body wandered about, playing with his acrylic ball. Pretty.

8. The Duel
I think the funniest bit of this was when the band started playing the Pirates of the Carribean theme.
Although seeing a man in silver short shorts, coat with tails, in silver high heels conducting a sword fight in a very camp manner against what was meant to be an audience member (tshirt and jeans) was pretty amusing.

9. Svetlana
Nadia and hoops. She also absconds with the delivery boy, Dave of the snakes.
Sadly the most amusing part of this was her pulling him around by the tie; it didn't help that she seemed to drop the hoops several times. The patterns made by holding the hoops in a certain manner were very pretty.

10. The Cleaners
Flags as poi, combined with sunglasses and the goofiest smile Vicente could muster. So amusing, several people in the audience couldn't stop snickering at the goofy smile. The way he begged the boss not to throw them out was hilarious, as was the sudden transformation from taskmaster to poi spinner when sunglasses were put on her too.

11. Burlesque
Kate Scherr is very talented. I didn't enjoy the burlesque when Will took me to see it, but this, was quite enjoyable. The bass guitar and singer support made this act really shine.

12. Side Show Senselessness
Tap dancer pulled a feather from her clothes and it was whipped in half by Huw Campbell in a hat. He then swallowed a sword. Gods that man is hot. Especially in that hat. Circusoc has a lot of sexy people, actually.

13. Oceanic
10 person, 3 layered people tower! One of the bases was not very steady.

14. Bottles
The pianist from the band also plays bottles. Sadly they were not as in tune as they were on rehearsal night; the rehearsal was better.

15. The Idol
Teeterboard! A few fumbles, and I think one of the unicyclists failed to make it back onto his wheel while on stage, but they rolled with it pretty well. I think the smooshing of paint onto the explorers' faces was the funniest bit.

The epilogue to the circus vs accountant life of Madame's daughter was not bad. Certainly well pulled off.

I think burlesque and poi were the best acts, closely followed by the opening singing act and sword swallowing.

No comments: