Friday, 1 December 2006

Drove to Spink's 21st. There was music, lots of people dressed up in odd clothing, alcohol, and lots of smokers outside. They even put alcohol into the slushie drinks (they'd hired two for the evening).
I gave him the small glass jar of paper stars, in a box made with a $10 note. I totally forgot about a present until right before I had to leave.
It was not fun. Actually, it was sort of boring. Lots of his HS friends and/or family there, compared to uni friends. Good food, though not enough water. I'll have to say that the cake was the best, though the salad was very nice too. Thai food on a hot, humid day is really not good.
His poor dog didn't get fed until around 22:00, and his cat had totally run off - which apparently it always did when there were lots of people.
The top room in the house - which was unfinished last time he had a party (probably last year) - was complete, with obligatory mess that made me think someone actually inhabited it. Turns out his dad sleeps up there, because both his parents snore.
There were glo sticks. I poked one into Spink's leek, which a friend had given him to twirl. I think it is some joke that I haven't found online yet.
Also spent some time intrigued by two guys dancing. Separately, of course. They both had sunglasses, but I'm pretty sure they were different guys, since they were wearing different clothes. (Possibly wearing the one guy's sunglasses, but still.) I thought they'd look pretty cool with glo sticks attached to their arms and legs, but maybe that was the effect of the small amount of alcohol I'd had.
Speaking of alcohol, I had the slushie (which irritated me, because alcoholic slushie just tastes bad) and jelly shots. (How did they get vodka to solidify with the gelatine? I thought the stuff was antifreeze!) One of the guys watched me tip the plastic cup containing the jelly shot upside down and tap at the bottom curiously, and told me I had to loosen it around the edge with a knife or my finger. Which was logical.
Amongst the people who were present were Chris Ha, who arrived with Pauline (no idea why). There was a girl on rollerskates - not rollerblades, rollerskates, 4 wheels located like on a car. Ngoc went, and after she'd had a few drinks, went around taking photos of peoples' cleavages (only people she knew though). Lulu went too; she didn't drink because she was the driver. Turns out she smokes. Bah. At least she's never done it around me. Cass went too, of course. She brought her sister (Stephanie?) along because she intended to get drunk and wanted someone to look after her. Apparently she never managed to get drunk; only tipsy.
I was glad when the time came for mum to pick me up. I wanted to drive, but I'd had the jelly shot an hour ago, and Lulu and Cass warned me against it. They also made logical sense - Friday night, long drive back to Carlingford. So I let mum drive instead, while I tried to remember the way back. Failed miserably, of course. I have no sense of direction in the real world.

All in all, a pretty disappointing 21st. I don't think I'll go to too many if they're all like that. And I'll definitely put some more planning into my own one. If I have one at all. Which I probably won't.

No comments: