Saturday, 6 September 2008

Baroque, Katoomba

Memory dump. Times generally approximate.

Friday 10:00
Left house to catch train. It was raining. Brother was still in bed.

12:00
Went to lecture. Was determined not to fall asleep. Fell asleep anyway. *sigh*

13:00
Read the entirety of the HPT pdf on a mac in 6.5.foyer.

13:50
Walked to the city RTA. Walked up to the window knowing nothing; the nice lady gave me forms to sign. Requested she fix the name mistake; she said that she couldn't do that unless she asked for the original photocopies of forms from the centre where I first got my Ls ... it was just too much bother.

15:00
Test passed, license received, plates obtained. Tried to locate cache GC1CGQM but was once again unsuccessful. Went to Macau's for food, and to swap colour travelpass with sibling.

16:30
Swap completed, meal paid for. Went to library to finalise travel details and look up some information on potential geocaches in the area I was headed to. Ran into some login problems. Did not make a very thorough check.

17:30
Got on train. Bought ticket for Parramatta to Katoomba at the desk, was asked by the guy at the window to show the ticket that would get me to Parramatta before he'd sell to me. Glad I made the swap after all.
Slept the entire way up there.

19:30
Got to Wentworth Falls. It was raining and windy and I didn't have a torch. Not surprisingly, the hunt for GC10MAB was unsuccessful. Made up my mind to come back during the day.

20:00
Back on the train and continued on to Katoomba. It was really foggy, so I took some photos. I think I am getting better at finding flat places to place the camera. Spent some time wandering around not having a clue where I was; eventually found the place, it was actually rather close to the station.

21:30
Bands started playing! Hung around the bar/nightclub for many hours, not really doing much, just enjoying the overly loud music.
Water, ice, lemon. Random questioned for place of origin, and reason for letter writing.
"If you fall asleep we have to kick you out. So I try to get to them before they fall asleep."

"What did you do to be tasked with standing in the rain?"
"Being new."
"Ouch."

Peter, lead singer of Mild Ryan came over to talk several times. He almost sat on me once before moving to the arm rest.

Exchange a series of amusing sms's with Tillius about their bass player.

Chidgey doesn't dance especially, and especially not in public. However, he does lights for Damon of Stop Hard when there's a need for it. He seemed bored, and I felt kind of bad because he was going to take the last train (23:15) back to Springwood but missed it, so decided he'd stick around with me until the place closed (around 04:00) and the trains started again.

03:00
Helped with packing stuff up. Stared at the lights a lot - their passage through the fog was well lit up.
Luckily, Damon was going to stay at the house that belonged to the father of the boyfriend of Annelise Tyrrell (I think his name is Pat), and since there was room, Chidgey and I slept over there too.
One dog when we got there, Maxy, 12yrs old, a small white shitzu shivering in the cold so it was helped into its jumper. He has eye problems and needs eye medicine that makes his eyes look like they have cataracts.
Two dogs when I woke, one in a jumper and one not.
Damon and Chidgey both read QC; apparently the latest one is quite amusing.
Annelise offered chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and while Chidgey didn't want any of that, he gladly went for the chocolate bullets. Heh.
Pat was setting up a Telstra wireless accessory for his laptop, but Annelise was sleepy and wanted to go to bed. "Have fun," made a much more appropriate parting phrase.
Damon was playing his guitar quietly in the morning. Woke and fell asleep again quite a few times.

11:18
Damon gave Chidgey and I a lift to Leura train station. On the short ride between Katoomba and Wentworth Falls, we chatted briefly; he's a UNSW science student.
"What are you going to do in Wentworth Falls?"
"I'm going to look for something that someone's hidden. Hopefully it will be in a watertight container near a fence."
"Oh, geocaching?"
"Yes! Have you found that one before?"
"No."
"Oh. Darn. See, I don't have a GPS device, so I don't really know exactly where to look, but I think the search area is about the same as everyone else anyway."
"Just use google maps."

11:34
Got off at Wentworth Falls after farewells of "Have fun" were exchanged. It was still raining and cold, but definitely more light than at night.

12:00
Found cache GC10MAB after some searching around totally wrong areas of fence. It was actually in plain view, but rather difficult to reach. I went to the bakery to buy bread as an excuse for somewhere dry to sit and sign the log.

12:30
Got on train again to Penrith, then a bus from there to Central. It took 3 hours.

15:55
Train then bus home. Was glad to get out of the damp socks.

No comments: