The campsite
At 15:00, the office was almost empty of those going camping. Felix was there, but only because he too was waiting for a lift.
Sophismata was not intelligent regarding transport. Unfortunately this meant he got stuck in TWO traffic jams - end of school and office rush hour. We didn't end up leaving until 18:00.
Arrived ~21:00. Nearly missed the turnoff, but I spotted it. We also drove past the campsite, but Yoshi's owner flagged us down.
The rest of the dinner team (which I was part of) hadn't actually started cooking yet.
Discovered that I'd forgotten the cheese!
Most just put my salad into their burger. Sadly this meant that not much salad got eaten.
I did remember repellant, but opted to use others' since they were in cans with real spray nozzles.
The fire had been started despite the lack of Sophismata's firewood. We went through most of the bags he brought that night.
The sound of stone sharpening metal is satisfying.
I was surprised at how unoffensive people generally were. DW was, of course, his usual charismatic asshole-ish self, but GC was considerably less competitively insulting.
There were toddlers and primary schoolers. They were
mostly well-behaved. Murph68's son is fascinated with fire, would
probably enjoy fire twirling.
Yoshi was also very well behaved, only making any sound when his fur got pulled.
Opted not to drink Friday night. Did not feel like it. Spent the majority of the night staring at the stars or the fire.
Saturday morning I was woken by the cold and later by birds, but I decided to sleep until it sounded like breakfast was being made. Everyone got up late, and most spent all morning in the river. Murphy68's daughter chattered fluently to Felix in a foreign language.
Some took a car out to civilisation for more firewood, ice, and probably internet. I did backflips on the hot sand, and tomlego took pictures at 10fps (or something like that). They are very nice. Turns out my body scribes a circle rather than a two arched line.
Lunch was chicken and salad. It was delicious. Everyone agreed, except for Manda, whose father was responsible for the chicken and had forgotten to let her help cook.
A game of Taboo happened for most of the afternoon. algeezyo turned out to be particularly good at it.
The river was nice, clean, and a welcome respite from the
heat and flies. Most of the day was spent in or around it.
Unfortunately due to bleeding I decided too late that I'd go swimming anyway; I
wasted most of the day wading down it, looking for a crossing; I wanted to climb the large hill on the other side of the river but didn't end up going.
A small group idled under some trees on camping chairs. Sophismata had borrowed Murph68's shorts (he'd been wearing his jeans earlier and they got very heavy) and climbed on a tree, played with the children, etc. He also found a rope swing. Sadly, the river isn't very deep. Jarred my leg when I landed on it. A whole bunch of men were standing on the sand opposite, it felt like they were all staring at me; I was only wearing my "Against the Grain" tshirt and desert-camo-lookalike shorts, and of course it got all soaked. I don't think any of it was see-through, but I decided not to have another go at the swing.
Saturday night I was in the mood to drink, and got very drunk. Sophismata started me out on his tonic and gin - that way around because while the first one was proportioned to be tasty, we ran out of tonic; both were pretty strong. After that I drank 1/3 of the bottle of wine I'd brought. I'm not sure why no one asked for any, it wasn't that bad. Sophismata and I chatted with Murph68's daughter, who had brought along a translated copy of Enid Blyton's Famous Five. She is beset upon but has so far come out clean, if scarred; we will see how she survives her teenage years.
Manda brought glowsticks. The children ran around collecting and trading glowsticks. algeezyo suggested I keep one on me since I was so drunk, which made sense so I did. It did change colours several times during the evening though.
Three games of Mafia happened once the children and elders had gone to sleep. Turns out I act suspiciously mafia-like while drunk and got myself lynched, but only once.
There was much leaning against Sophismata's limbs. It was nice. He hesitantly scratched my head once. I want to say I love him, whether that be as a friend or more; I want to offer ajzelin. But the concept is foreign and Rel is averse to sharing.
Forgot to put on repellant until well after evening had fallen. Later discovered I had some 14 mosquito bites in various places, mostly on the outside of my upper right thigh.
Lay on the grass afterward, but there were clouds. Sophismata found me when I'd not expected to be found; for some reason he sounded confused at my salutation of "Greetings and well done." Asking him about it a few days later, it turns out he'd been relieving himself and spotted a person-shaped shadow so came out to investigate, and thought I was being snide.
Everyone woke pretty early due to birds, and left around midmorning; seems no one wanted another day with flies. We were the third-last to go, waiting a little so we'd not have to drive through the dust of those in front. Felix went with DW, since they were located closer geographically.
I ended up throwing away the remainder of my salad; it was probably fine, but after forgetting to put it somewhere chilled Saturday, I didn't quite trust it. It was so hot that marshmallows in the sun melted; my leatherman in my bag in my tent was too hot to hold. 2 seconds after I threw the entire box out, Sophismata mentioned that he could have done with some salad. And he'd opened the bin for me too, grr!
Stopped at the Rouse Hill McDonalds for more food. Then went home.
No comments:
Post a Comment