Thursday, 29 December 2005

Got up early this morning at 0630 and went to take photos outside. Got back at 0700, ate breakfast of banana + nutella and banana + yoghurt (gasp, she ate something different for breakfast!). Packed, and was off at 0800, headed for Canberra. Slept in the car some, despite not wanting to.
Spent about half an hour at the information centre. Or rather, parents did. Karen and I went and took photos of the car crash nearby. The rescue team used huge cutter things to cut the metal of the roof, then a crowbar to dent the section joining the roof to the car's windscreen, then folded the entire roof forwards over the front engine area, all just to get the injured driver out.
Then we went to Questacon. Stayed there, with all the science and air conditioning until 1530. We were allowed into the members' lounge, which had a kitchen, couch, tables, chairs, magazines and some purple couches. Inside the kitchen were free drinks - milo, coffee, something else - COLD milk (in the fridge), mugs to use (not free mugs -_-'), a sink, cutlery. The only thing it didn't have was free food XD
We ate lunch up in the members' lounge at 1300. I spent a lot of time before that in the upper levels, where the sound and wave galleries were.
1400 we all went to see a minishow for an hour, on the 'science behind the circus'. The presenter/clown was really funny. I actually learnt stuff. Something about rotational energy. And how heavier things took more energy to move, and therefore had rotational inertia, meaning they were less likely to move if put further away from the axis of rotation - which may mean higher in the air. Or something. Then spent a long time watching the Gravitron.
Went to Dickson (wtf is with that name) to buy... stuff, and supposedly check out dinner places. There were some unsecured wireless networks, but I couldn't connect to them for some reason.
Went to accommodation after that. After unloading all the stuff, I repositioned the car so that it was in the shade. I parked straight :D
Went for a swim around until 1830. 'Swimming' is misleading... it was more like bouncing/walking/floating around, with much variety on water exit and re-entry methods. Took a shower, then went for dinner in Dickson. Instead, we ended up at the observatory, and paid for a presentations on constellations at 2030. THEN we went for dinner. There was some arguing, and mum, Karen and I ended up eating buffet, and dad and Derek ate at Ali Baba. 2025, left Dickson to drive to the observatory. GOT LOST GRRRRR. Missed out on 10min of the presentation - which turned out to be exceptionally good. A lot of it was about constellations, which I found extremely interesting. I now know the location of the Pleiades (spelling?), Venus, Mecury, Betelgeuse, Rigel and Sirius in relation to Orion's belt, and the constellation of Orion in general. Then went home, argued a long time about what to do tomorrow, and finally decided. 2349... sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

No comments: