Wednesday, 25 May 2005

I'm at uni right now. In building two. Almost all the computers are taken, and it's actually rather noisy in here.
Liz's exam happened at like 10:45am. It was scheduled for 11:00am, but the examiner couldn't seem to wait. As a consequence, we were rushed, and I left my folder of music in the practice room, where we'd tuned.
When I got into the actual exam room, I wasn't sure if we were supposed to tune. Liz didn't look like she wanted to, so she went right into the list B.
About 1 second later, I found out that the piano had a squeaky pedal. Now, this examination was being held in a private school. Kings' School, to be exact. They are freakn rich. Yet they provide a squeaky pedal for the AMEB examinations?!!
I forgot to clarify with Liz how she was doing the repeats. Hence, I screwed that up too. And the second part of List B... the page refused to stay flat!! I was trying to play from a page sticking out at 90 degrees into my face! I had to stop halfway through and make it stay flat! That's another reason I hate playing from originals!
List C was ok, since I'd played it before. The page turns were all in the wrong place though. Evil page turns.
Luckily for me, the examiner asked Liz to play the Sonata for an extra - which I didn't have the piano part to - so I hurried out of the room. Liz said he'd asked her to play the easy part from the Sonata.

She got a C+.
I felt really really bad. I haven't played so crappily for months.

I felt even worse when Liz's dad handed me two notes - a green one wrapped by a red one. I told him it was $35 for the entire thing... he said that I couldn't possibly charge them only 35, since I'd put in who knows how many hours of practice. In the end, I gave him the red one back.
I still can't believe I got $100 for such terrible playing. I am going to have to do better next time, or this guilty feeling is going to stay with me and taint me forever.
Next time I do something like this, I may actually ask a piano teacher exactly what I should do in the exam room. I mean... I didn't know I could play from photocopies until it was too late. (A kind lady outside the room told me that I could copy entire pieces, since I was the accompanist.) I don't know if I'm allowed to warm up on the piano or something, just to get used to it, since each piano is different. I know now that I'm supposed to tune.

*sighs*
I'll do better next time... I swear I will. Anything to get rid of this terrible feeling.

No comments: