Thursday, 25 August 2005

The DCA presentation was horrible. I threw the hard copy of the notes away, despite there being a pretty picture on the back of one of the sheets. I think I spoke too fast.

Got driven by mum to Olympic Park. Got there by about 18:15 - fairly fast.
Got food! Fairly good food too.
Also got a huge showbag thing. These guys just left theirs by the table, so I took one and stuffed it into my bag. Now there are 3 small MSI USB mice, complete with USB->PS2 adapters, in my house. *is pleased*
The presentations lasted for several hours. With nothing better to do, I actually listened.

[drivel]
MSI is known for its motherboards and its graphics cards. It's been leader of the graphics card industry thing for 4.5yrs now. Their graphics cards don't rely on the Northbridge.
They also produce notebooks of various sizes.
AMD is mainly known for its Processors. They're leading with the 64-bit stuff, and will be phasing in 64-bit dual core processors sometime next year.
Turion is for the mobile stuff.
Sempron is for general desktop things
There's one or two others that I can't remember the name of
And a range (FX, I think it's called) that is specifically for gamers. No overclocking for those ones. They're already fixed to go all out. XD
MSI have also managed to manufacture a PCI card that allows 802.11b/g and Bluetooth to play together nicely. O_o
Seems there's also some standard of Bluetooth - BT1.2 or something - that is anti-interference with 802.11g.
[/drivel]

Some guy won $80 in a 'Who wants to be a millionaire' game imitation they held. ("Who wants to be a MSI" sounds so lame.)
In the giveaway, we all had to fill out a survey form, which they put into a box and drew the names out. Dad's was drawn first - he won an MSI 925XE NEO motherboard. So I think I will be getting a computer upgrade very very soon. Just need to do some research on the processor to get. And probably a graphics card too, since the graphics slot looks like it's a PCI-Express slot, not an AGP slot. (Dammit! I want to reuse my faithful Matrox card!! It's good for graphic designers - which I do like to dabble in sometimes!!)
I wonder if I will have to get new hdds too... there's some SATA ports on it, but only two IDE ports, (RAID 0, 1 or 1.5? What's that mean??) which I plan on using for optical drives and maybe something else.
Apparently the upgraded computer will be the server.. well, the gateway to the Internet anyway - it has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports - so I will have to read up on security and stuff.

Drove back in dad's clunky old car. 21:10 - 21:40, apparently about 30km.
From the street with the trapeze, driving away from the N of Novotel:
Right at the end of the road
Take left lane
Left at 2nd (or was it 3rd?) set of traffic lights
Take far left lane when needed
Right at large crossroads with Silverwater
Change lanes into middle as soon as possible (left lane ends)
Take lane 2nd from left
When road splits, take the left lane of the right split
Left at crossroads with the bowling club with the Thai restaurant.
Stay in left lane.
Right at the Marsden/Cumberland lights
Take 2nd lane from right immediately after lights
Right at lights
Take left lane immediately after lights
Left at lights
The rest is familiar one laned streets.

Tired. Have work tomorrow. Will remember to get CD-Keys of WinXP computers.

No comments: