Reveille at 0500, stand-to till 0530, though we were called off early at 0515 by Lt Charlton and some other male.
At 0550, 2 girls heard odd singing (later found out that the IIs were actually singing Bob the Builder -_-; ), so we set out with Lt Charlton to check it out. Found the II camp, 10 tents - some civilian, others not. I still had the radio from yesterday.
(On 5 July around 1800, I'd returned the used battery to the Q. Earlier, when we'd returned from patrol around 1415, I'd handed 1 Sierra 3's radio to Ma'am (female officer). It was then that I found out from the Q staff that she hadn't returned it yet, so I went and got it back from her)
So we radioed the find in, then sat in the cold, observing, until somthing like 0740. (The radio net was very busy, and they wouldn't let us into the net. 0A's RATEL procedures were so downright crap.) Sometime around 0720, another section came in as backup, but before then, I'd heard one of the IIs yell, "Come on, we have to go, the buses are here!" so yes, the backup wasn't much use.
Walked to the gate, which wasn't far, and took a bus to the Infantry Barracks, where WTSS was being held. (Weapons Training Simulation System?) To pass, a soldier had to get a grouping of 200 or less. I don't know what measurement the grouping was in, probably mm or something. I failed - no surprise, since that was my first time shooting - all four sets of 5 rounds were up in the 300s.
Went on a nav to find/observe the IIs. Spent almost an hour lying in a field while a small group went to check out voices that we could hear. I tried to cut the skin that was growing over my nails, and accidentally cut too deep. It was cold, and my hand wouldn't stop bleeding, so I fed off it for probably an hour and a half, quite possibly two. Yes, the hour that we lay there, and then as it got dark, the hour that we travelled. Zugai was Tail End Charlie for a while, he kept worrying about me and my finger; he even called Buckley over at one stage (since Buckley, aka The Rock, was the medic), but I didn't want treatment. I ended up bandaging the finger later when I went to sleep, because I didn't want blood on the inside of my sleeping bag.
As a result of that hour, we didn't even reach where we were heading, but no big deal really. Got to sleep under the stars - no hoochie! - it wasn't really cold (except for my feet, they always freeze because I don't wear a double layer of socks to bed), even without the liner. I woke at 0409 to see the moon, 5/8ths full, and sent an SMS off. The males of Section 3 (everyone else -_-; ) slept in a large several-person bed/crowd thing. Spoke much german with Zugai.
No comments:
Post a Comment