Thursday, 16 June 2005

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust; from the ground we came, and to the ground we will all return...

Earlier, I asked Net147 if he wanted to join me in burning something. He said no, and said that he had moved on from that a long time ago.
So... I guess I really am alone again. It is not always a bad thing, I suppose.
I took a hexitab and a cylinder of matches along with the plastic spoon with the tiny body of Climber in it, and headed outside. Breaking the solid fuel tablet into half, I lay Climber on top of one half, moved the other half a safe distance away, struck a match, and allowed the table to catch fire.
Within the first two minutes, Climber's corpse gradually blackened as the flames surrounded its body. One of its legs was in the side of the flame. It glowed red, then white hot.
It took a very long time for the tablet to burn away. For the majority of the time, Climber's body stayed intact, until it fell off the tablet. I tried to move it back on, but the body broke up, having turned to charcoal. I saw its largest claw, only a few millimeters long, lying on the ground with some legs that had also fallen off. Partly because I had already shed tears for Climber earlier in the day, and partly because I was beginning to become edgy from the car door slamming noises the neighbour was making, I mourned silently for a life that would never return.
By the time the last small flame used up the last of the fuel, I had heard a magpie warbling quietly, anticipating the dawn.

Yes, death is the end of life.
But the cycle of life goes on for those who remain...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. you pyro! :P
Ok, I feel gay cos I'm like replying to all your posts.. even really old ones. But my dad is annoying me and I don't want to let him on the computer..