Dad's birthday. Went to some bowling club to have Thai food. Dursit Thai Restaurant, maybe? Good food. Entree was all deep fried stuff - very oily, quite nice, especially with the sweet and sour sauce. I think I will try making those odd bound dumplings sometime. They just looked so cool. Shouldn't be too difficult to make.
Cooked young coconut is not so nice though. That particular dish was a seafood one - it had all the seafood inside the coconut, which was sitting on a ceramic dish. The ceramic dish had liquid fuel in it, and yes - you guessed correctly - the fuel (alcohol, I think) was burning. Clean blue flames, of course. The chicken - which I thought was the tastiest dish of the night - came in a large piece of foil that was folded to look like a bird. The bird even had tomato and cucumber 'wings', and was placed on an oval metal plate. The plate also had clean blue flames consuming alcohol. The rice came in a blue pot. It was just jasmine rice. $2 per person for the rice, heh. As much water as one wanted! XD
Hmm... what else.. oh yeah. The restaurant had like 4 mirrors. I wonder if it was a feng shui thing, just a Thai decoration thing, or was for something more practical... like security. The huge paper/wooden fans on the wall (over the water feature) had really nice decorations on them. I should upload the pictures onto photobucket and post them here or something. The water feature had ducks and pelicans on the rocks. On the far side of the room (it wasn't as big as most restaurants are, more like the size of that small Vietnamese eating place in Eastwood) were about three or four of those pyramids made of 6 'logs' of cushions. The way they were placed was nothing new, but it looked quite nice. I wonder if there is some good luck thing linked to those. I think I saw one such pyramid - 6 blue-gold log cushion things - sitting at the top of the stairs at Net147's house, but that was a long time ago and the images are no longer sharp in my memory. There were also green-gold pseudo-curtains hanging over the top half of the windows. They were made of that shimmery sort of cloth that changes colour if you look at it from a different angle... gah, I've forgotten its name. The tablecloth was red with gold coloured embroidering. There was paper laid over the top though - which made sense - so the pattern couldn't be fully seen.
Afterwards, we were all full. We took home a box of the food that we couldn't finish.
At the desk where people paid after eating, there was a large wooden sculpture of a whole lot of elephants. I think it was carved out of a huge log of wood. The biggest one was crammed into the hollow 'tree trunk' on the left side, and all the smaller ones were on the curved length of what remained of the log. One small elephant looked like it was eating the head of another small elephant.
It rained on the way home. I don't even know how old my dad is. I don't think I really want to know. He's getting white hairs.
1 comment:
Yeah, I don't know how old my parents are either.. not good with ages with remembering birthdays anyway.
That Thai restaurant seems really nice. How's the pricing? Expensive? I like the fish cakes and satay chicken (though getting a little tired of them now..) entrees.
Post a Comment