Saturday, 18 October 2008

Vox concert #1

The rehearsal was somewhat frustrating, and afterwards, dinner took forever to arrive; in the end I cancelled my order and just got a small plate of rice with peanut sauce instead. It was $3.50 and rather filling.

The concert itself went very well. I kept coming in when I wasn't supposed to in A Boy and A Girl, but I think only the people near me would have noticed since what I was very briefly singing (before realising that no one else in my section was singing with me and shutting up) actually belonged to another voice part, so it didn't sound wrong. Across the Dark (Ben van Tienen's 4 pieces set to Leunig words) was excellently premiered. Cloudburst worked rather well since the audience continued with the finger clicking until the end, and actually faded away as the rainstorm moved away into the distance (ie. there was no smartarse trying to click really loudly at the end). Rutter's Gloria was loud and invigorating to sing. The orchestra was ... orchestral.

Subfuture was in the audience, after having driven over the bridge twice because his iPhone gave him the wrong directions. He said he'd enjoyed himself, although he didn't have much of an expression on his face whenever I glanced at him. (Having said that, I also don't know how to read facial expressions very well.) It was probably not the sort of music he usually prefers to listen to, I got the impression that he preferred swing/jazz stuff from the Gangster's Ball. I wonder if he came out of curiosity, and/or felt obligated since I went to that Ball with him.
No idea what happened to Jayzilla; he said he'd be there, but I guess he changed his mind.

Concert finished around 21:30. Ended up walking to Kings Cross station, changing trains at Town Hall and getting a Blacktown train with Chris and Wylie Atmore to Strathfield. Subfuture did offer a lift, but I didn't want to inconvenience him.

No comments: