Monday, 2 August 2004

Die Zukunft... such an unstable, unknowable thing. Plan for it as one will, but there are far too many variables that one just can't keep track of. Not even an Oracle can do it.

This morning, I was supposed to meet the school counsellor. He had some sort of quiz thing that I could do, it would give me some clue as what might suit me in the way of Uni courses. He didn't even turn up. He'd called in sick. Half my 'free' period was wasted simply waiting for the irresponsible bastard.

At the moment, ADFA is looking like a very attractive choice. Might go into something like Communications, since it's got something to do with computers. And the Defence Force are always looking for good Comms officers, or so the CO says. But HECS fees are only paid for by the government if one goes into Full Time - ie. joins the actual Defence Force. Not if one goes into the Reserves, even though one still gets paid Tax-free money there.
But if I go down that path, it would mean going to Canberra... which is far far away from parents, but also far away from Net147... *cries*

More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

-------------------------

- Hyde: "Do you like crap?!" -

What? You join the Reserves and you get tax-free money?! And your HECS are paid by the government if you join the Defence Force? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just re-iterating what you seem to be saying cos it is just so unbelievable. Can you join Reservest part-time?

-------------------------

Kunama said...

lol Reserves and Regs (Regulars) are totally different sort of jobs.

If you join the Reserves, you're a 'reserve'. That is, you go do military stuff a few hours a week, and you have a civilian life too. Part time military. If you take that option, then you don't get your HECS paid for, but they do pay you to learn, and you could put that money towards paying your HECS.

If you join the Regs, you're pretty much on call at any time (other than when you're on leave), and you're doing military stuff a lot more. Full time military. Your HECS are paid for.

In both cases, there's tax-free money to be gotten, though I reckon the Regs get a lot more of it, simply because they're posted to a wide range of places - say, overseas to help police in other countries, humanitarian thingies, etc. while Reserves generally stay in the country with their civilian jobs, and take leave from civilian jobs when they're called by the military to go somewhere.

I dunno what ADFA is, I think it's full time after you graduate, because the military wants to get service/time back from the students, since they put time in to teach them the stuff they know. Makes sense.
I read on the website, though, that students can study for up to two years, and drop out any time during then, without having to pay back any service time. After that, there are a few problems. *shrugs*

Anyhow, if you want more info, go check the website. My info might be a lil inaccurate; my memory isn't perfect.