Thursday, 12 August 2004

Well, I'm glad English is finally over. No more English essays until the actual HSC. My hand hurts... two hours of continuous writing is NO FUN.
Had to write an essay for Module A (Transformations), a dialogue for Module B (Critical Study of Texts), and a feature article for Module C (Telling the Truth). I think the dialogue one was the best.

SDD was a nasty thing. There was a code segment in the last question, elective Evolution of Programming Languages, written in a sort of Postfix notation. Everyone I talked to guessed it was a logic language.
I looked it up. It's LISP. LISt Processor. Lisp primer
Unfortunately for us all, LISP is a language that uses the functional paradigms. I should have guessed from what seemed to be a recursive function call at the end of (this n).

The extract of code was something like:

define (this n)
if (= n 0)
0
(+ n (this (- n 1)))

define (f1 a b)
if (> b a)
[A whole lot of stuff I don't remember]

define (that n)
(f1 n 1)


And I thought I'd understood the If thing. But I didn't.
Its form is
(if ‹test›‹then›‹else›)

And the form of primitive (built-in) functions in LISP is
(name-of-function first-argument second-argument ...)


Ah well. What's done is done. I don't very much care, except that LISP actually looks somewhat interesting. Darn postfix notation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

------------------------------

- Hyde -

I hate that SDD test so bad! I hate it! I hate it! Burn it! BURN! No I'm not a pyro, I just felt that in the context of my hate for it, it was necessary for it to be burnt.

Anyway, did I tell you that I calculated (with optimism) about what I'd get (since I did have 1.5 hours left over that I would not be spending on rechecking questions) - and I calculated less than 50%. O-ho-ho-ho. If I manage to get higher, I'll be extremely surprised but it won't stop my pissed-off-ness at SOMEONE who is such a GREAT teacher in giving us such an EASY test..