Friday, 20 August 2004

It's been strange. I've been waking up at exactly 06:50 for the past two days.

Missed the bus. Walked to next bus stop and took the next bus. Wanted to get cheaper ticket to the city, so wandered up Oxford St, to the old Uniting Church there. I can jump that gap between the side wall 'sentinel' and front wall 'sentinel' easily now. Ah, so many memories. Sky Walker. Go that game. Was I really so short once that I could hang doubled over on those bars and only just touch the ground? All the green glitter we spilled years ago has long since gone, blown and washed away.
The Shack has had a makeover. It actually looks like it could withstand a storm now.
I wanted to go into the chapel/nave/church/whatever you call it. The Anglican one, behind the Uniting Church, but it was locked. I spent some time in the small garden, wondering where the cats had gone with their owner, who'd moved. The cats probably aren't even alive anymore.
Came back to see the door to the church being closed; someone was in there. So I went in quietly. There was a man in red cardigan and grey pants changing the candles. I wish I'd lit one. I noticed every time that he crossed in front of the covered table, he turned to look at it full on. A sign of respect, I suppose. It's a shame that they have to monitor that front area with a security camera. I remember taking the cooled spilled wax off the candles, only just tall enough to reach the ones on the stands. I can't even do that anymore.
The man didn't even notice me there. After he was done, he switched off the lights, headed out, and locked the door after him. I had a short moment of panic when I checked the back doors, which had similar locks on them, but didn't open when I tried. I then went and tried the door I'd come in from; thankfully, it opened from the inside. Then I figured that I'd better get out of there, so I did. Consequently, I 'bumped into' the man, who said that he'd not realised I was in there. Good thing those doors open from the inside.
Spent the next half hour or so outside of the library doing physics on a damp seat.
Saw Net147 today. He managed yet again to catch me off guard, this time in the Sydney Library, where I was crouched next to the paperback stand, re-reading a Star Trek novel. Vulcan's Heart. I'd found Starfighters of Adumar there too. Spent about three hours reading it, but didn't get to finish. I've only found the book in that one library so far.
Went for a walk around the library, I think he was looking for a computer book that he didn't seem to find. Which means that he would have a library card. I considered getting one, but decided that it would mean having to actually bother to go back out to the city to return any borrowed books, and I don't have that much free time. It takes about an hour to get out there; with all the trackwork happening around the station, the number of trains have been reduced.
Spent the next few hours actually doing physics. Then read Starfighters of Adumar for a while, until it was lunch time, when I headed down to 465 Kent.
He came out shortly, amongst a whole lot of other people. Headed to the arcade near Town Hall, where he bought a box of rice with fish for lunch. Then headed out and sat on the stone that surrounded the stairs which lead down to the Food Court, next to George St, in front of St Andrew's Cathedral. The fish looked nice. He offered me some, but I wasn't really all that hungry, so I declined. His face sure healed up well.
I took at look at his maths stuff; he had a class test on trigonometry after lunch. His teacher makes these booklets of info, with room for working. It seems... lazy. For the students, I mean. It all looked like the standard stuff.. auxiliary angles, t method, etc etc etc...
This old man, probably 50 - 60yo, came up and asked if we were students. A rather odd question, seeing tha Net147 was in uniform anyway. I said, "Maybe." After that, he pretty much ignored me, so I just let Net147 do all the talking. I resent the fact that the man took up so much of what little time we had together. The man said a lot of stuff, most of which I don't particularly want to write down because it's not worth remembering. He gave us both a small copy of the Gospel, Olympic edition. It looked like the same ones from last year, just newer. After the man had left, Net147 said, "Well, that was random," looked at the small booklet, tucked it into his pile of maths and stuff, and finished, "I can use this for English. We're doing stuff on Olympics."
And then time ran out. I went back to the library and read some of that "Fix Your Own PC" book. It's old. Then read up to about half of Starfighters of Adumar. Went down and sneaked into the BBC building after school had finished (confirmed my suspicions of which building it actually was by asking what looked like a year 6 boy), was too nervous to go near any rooms that had people in them -_-;; then bought two chicken souvlaki sticks (Have they gone up in price? They're $2.90 now) and took a train home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

------------------------

- Hyde -

I hate old men.

------------------------