Friday, 7 January 2005

I have a feeling that points are building up against me. Someone wanted cheese sliced today. I didn't know it had to be sliced by machine. So I tried to do it manually with the cheese knife, until the customer told me (she was amused) that it had to be done by slicer. Mel (the manager) sliced it, and complained about wasted cheese. I put the 'wasted cheese' - the bits that I'd sliced off - into the bag too. After all, the customer was paying for that much, why throw away perfectly edible (but imperfectly sliced) cheese?

It is not good for a manager to be dishonest. But she is. If someone asks for 200g, she told me that I should give them extra, and showed me herself; once she went up to 30g over. Of course, this means that she will also charge them for the 30g that they didn't ask for. Obviously, it's not possible to get it completely accurate every time, and some slices of meat are about 10g on their own; but still, it is a bad habit that I don't want to get into.
Someone wanted half of a certain block of cheese today. She showed and explained to me while she was cutting it, telling me to give the customer two-thirds.

I keep answering Mel in Jap. She says it annoys her. I need to get out of the habit. It should only be something I can do around friends who will understand what I am like.
It's just that... (hahaha listen to me make pathetic excuses to myself) everyone there is older, more experienced and taller -_-; than I am. It makes me feel like a kid. It does not help that Adam has nicknamed me 'short person'.
Adam is a nice guy though. All the guys I've met so far are fairly nice people. Sarah and Mel though... their personalities are colder. Monique, who's new but has been around for longer than I have, is quite nice.

No comments: