Saturday, 8 January 2005

Met my first truly nasty customer. There was a guy with a trolley who asked for three falafels. I was just about to get the man his second falafel when this woman comes along and asks me in a loud and annoyed voice, "Can you sell four of these?" I answered her uncertainly (I'm not sure if she actually heard me), "Well, I guess we could."
"So why do you keep saying that you can only sell me three at a time? Twice I have come here wanting four but having to buy six instead. I mean, I don't see why you can't just sell them at 85 cents each." By this time, it had occurred to me that she was with the man who had requested three falafels, who, in hindsight, was probably pretending that he didn't know the woman.
She went on for some time, and then Brett(? the large guy) behind me said to me, "We're not supposed to sell them singly," to which I said, "Oh. Well..."
At some point, the woman said, "Well, I certainly won't be coming here to buy things again." I thought to myself, 'Who would want people like you?! You'd probably make a bad name for this place anyway!' I don't think anything showed on my face; I was too surprised, because I hadn't been serving her, but the man whom I had no idea was actually with her. By then, I'd given the man his three falafels; he'd put them into his trolley and was walking away with it, leaving the woman behind.
Then Mel came over and asked, "What seems to be the problem here?" So Brett and I gladly gave Mel the responsibility of dealing with such a nasty person. Mel said, "Well, we're only supposed to sell them in threes, but if you come to me, I can give you four."
Later Mel asked what had happened. After explanations from us both, she just said, "Ok," then told me to serve the customer who was behind me. And that was the end of that.
I don't think Brett remembered my entire name. I'm not surprised, I don't even know if Brett is his name. Anyway, he called me "Pris" or "Chris"; I only heard because Mel was like, "Pris? Who's that?" a few times.
Later, I heard her muttering just loud enough so I could hear, "That time when he called you Pris, what on earth, I reckon he was trying to pick you up or something." She was teasing, but I acted like I didn't hear it; I was refilling the Ham Deluxe anyway.

Ate a salmon and avocado sushi roll instead of a pie today. It cost $2.30, but was probably healthier than the pie. There was something crunchy in the meat yesterday. Quite suspicious.
Bought milk.

No comments: