My head hurts...
I just got back from school. Yes, I was at school for a total of approximately fourteen hours.
But I finally got to work the stagelights again. Been wanting to do that since I did it for the play thing that my year 6 class performed on assembly.
Unfortunately, the school's set of stagelights are so very crap. The lights shine on all the places except the front of the stage, where everyone tends to stand, and even more so since they set up a temporary stage in front, which wasn't so slippery, deliberately for the tap and irish dancers. We ended up having the house lights on for the second act, because the silhouette effect of the lights behind and none in front on their faces was just terrible, and the audience couldn't see the face of the people performing.
Though Blitzkrieg specifically asked for the hall lights to go off for their act, which we gave them. They were probably the highlight of the evening for most teens there, actually. Dene was suggesting that we go up and mosh. XD The music was too loud for me even though I was at the very back in the light/sound box-like room.
People kept coming up to us during the first act and the interval, asking what the crap was going on with the lights, we just kept telling them that it wasn't us (because it wasn't, it was the stupid energy saving lights in the hall, for which the switches were wired up to in no particular order), there was nothing we could do for the performers if they ignored our constant repeated advice to move towards the back of the stage and into where the light could catch them.
After the disastrous lighting problems in the first act (house lights just kept coming on and off, damned random wiring!), we pretty much just left them on all the time.
I was doing the sound stuff from the very beginning anyway, which was what I ended up doing for the rest of the evening. I like having a tray with 5 slots for CDs. Made life much easier. The performers couldn't be bothered getting their music organised the day before, so the tracks weren't all on the one CD. *shrugs* Experience is good.
Around 5:30pm, Jess discovered that the mic in Line 1 actually caused the music to cut out. Thank God she did, or we would have had problems with the music cutting out all night. Chris, being the idiot that he is, gave Bernise that very same mic, and since she was using a track on a CD, the music cut out on her every time she sang loud. Ez ran up and switched her mic to the one on Line 3 (the faultless one! XD) and everyone cheered and clapped. Bernise has a good voice, though I found it a tad odd that she chose to sing about a girl getting ready to have sex all night with a guy who was probably already married.
I stuffed up with the mics a few times, as well as the CD tracks... kept forgetting to turn the volume back up after items/mc-stints.
Near the end, Ez just turned all the equipment off. Lighting for the stage (not the fluorescent stage lights, those were kept on the entire time) and sound system, which controlled all the mics besides the one the stage band were using. Damned stage band. They took all the extension cords which we could have used for the mics, so that the singers could have actually moved backwards into the lights.
And then Ez and Dene just ran. I looked at them for a while, then ran after them, not wanting to cop the blame if anyone had actually wanted to use the mics afterwards.
Davo came out and walked with me to the carpark. I don't know why.
As soon as I saw the moon, a sudden loneliness came over me. Net147 hadn't answered any of the sms that I sent him throughout the day, and he didn't answer that one either. I spent some time sitting on top of the water tank during the interval, staring at the thin dish and the filmy transparency that was the rest of the circle of the moon.
All in all, a good day, except for the fact that I keep feeling like I need to throw up... I'm going to sleep now. Too dizzy and tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment