Monday, 8 November 2004

My first proper rant?

Current location: home
Current mood: amused, disgusted and extremely annoyed, alternating extremely quickly between the three

1. Spent time looking for a suspected virus on the server. Found none.
2. Gathered all my files into the one folder and deleted my account on the server.
3. Did 1 and 2 with my brother making stupid spitting noises and yelling, "GET OFF MY COMPUTER! GET OFF MY COMPUTER!" as well as my brother and sister arguing about my brother's farting habits around family members.
4. Mother (*spit*) comes out yelling, "OK, what's happening here? Who's the cause of all this ruckus?!"
5. Sister blames it on brother and consequently gets scolded because mother "heard [sister's] voice".
6. Brother gets told off.
7. Sister proceeds to send email with groupwork attachment to the partner she's working with.
8. Mother yells at sister that she has "been sending emails to her friend every day for the last four days, and it has always been the same thing", to which sister retorts, "That's because it's been different every time!"
9. I look at mother with pure disgust - she's getting annoyed at sister because she was already annoyed at brother.
10. I get yelled at, and mother claims that she's "not even cooking dinner because I have to watch this thing!" ('Thing' referring to sister)
11. Mother continues to berate sister for doing homework. Sister sits silently, typing out her email and waiting for the .doc to upload.
12. I continue looking at mother with disgust. Mother yells, "Don't look at me like that! She's following in your footsteps!"
13. Mother goes back to berating sister, who by now has finished sending the email+attachment, and storms off into her room muttering about parents being a hindrance to her education.
14. I get off brother's computer as requested (since my files have been moved and the computer finally deleted my account) and move onto mine, which is what brother has been demanding for the past 20 minutes.
15. Mother yells at me for "wasting my time and abusing/misusing the internet" and goes on for the next 2 minutes about how I keep telling her "not to remove the modem from its connections" (since it's illegal according to the ToS) and about how dad "shouldn't have gotten the connection in the first place".
16. I don't even bother looking at her; just think to self (with a hint of amusement), 'I haven't even said anything the entire time. And yet you, mother, a supposedly mature and self-controlled adult, have been yelling at all three of your children, taking your anger out unjustly on someone who was trying to get legitimate work done, and justifying your actions with something that is totally irrelevant,' while typing this blog out.

Currently: mother is banging pots and pans in the kitchen and setting things on the table harder than usual.
Before: mother has been making bad jokes about having to reintroduce corporal punishment. She has been 'joking' with me by poking, tickling and mock punching me. I act amused. What else can I do, I'm sick of being yelled at. I don't like it.

Hyde just called. Seems she and Nada have set up a phone chain. They've decided that they're going to go out to the city on Friday and eat pancakes. Interesting. Mary's phone number is returning a fax tome. Strange.

I think I'll become a Vulcan. Detach myself from my emotions for a while. At least towards family members. 'Family' my arse. We have to put up with mother's (*spit*) annoyance and nagging, because we're a 'family'? No thanks. I'd go it alone if I could, but I'm still looking for a job.

Speaking of job, today I went to Coverdale Christian School (Preschool - Year12) to scribe and read for some illiterate (yet clever) year 7s. They were clever all right. One rowdy guy could talk well - shows intelligence. Yet he doesn't know how to sit and listen; nor does he know how to shut up during an exam. Poor Tillius had him - his name was Matthew. He is disruptive. If he didn't show vague glimpses of intelligence, I would write him off as a future bum.
The only girl, Emily, was trying to work on her own. Personal pride. I admire that; at least she tries. The other four (maybe five) guys are holding her back with their immaturity. I told Mrs Tilly that she MUST separate Emily from the other guys; they will hinder her development.
The boy I was partnered up with, by the name of John Reay, was asked to hand out writing paper. He gave her one; then when asked by the teacher to hand out a second sheet to everyone, I watched as Emily reached out for one, and he jerked them nastily out of her reach. Eventually, she got moved to a quieter room, but Matthew got moved to the same room with her because he was being too disruptive.
I was feeling nasty. I left out apostrophes, capitals, commas, and wrote messily on the planning page. (Yes, they were meant to tell me exactly what to write, and John did not do so.) At least he will get 50%. I asked him to spell 'dragon', because his lazy speech makes it sound like 'drehgen'. He said he didn't know, and repeated it. Then I understood, and told him that he'd better remember how to spell it - there was a dragon printed on the front of what appeared to be his favourite hat. Several times, I had to remind him to 'write' about what he'd brainstormed about, and suggested capitalisation and apostrophes. He did write about brainstormed things, in a brief sort of way. He corrected capitals for names by himself. He thought I meant quotation marks and put them around all the "he said"s rather than the lines that the person actually said.
i should have asked him how to spell 'amputate'. There's no way he would have known how to spell that. But that was back in the first English, paper, when he was behaving and I was still feeling well inclined towards him.

That school is screwed. They not only have illiterate year 7s; they also have year 8s who have trouble reading. At least those two year 8s could write for themselves.
Tillius attended that school during his primary school years. He said the middle school principle was a dumbass. After what I heard from Tillius, I also concluded that the middle school principle was (probably still is) a dumbass.

I have to do the scribing and reading again tomorrow. There will be another friend of Tillius' coming along to help out. I will have to get up around 06:30 again. I hate getting up early.

No comments: